School of Education
The Aquinas College Educator Preparation Program (EPP) was founded on the belief that teaching is more than a career choice: it is both a gift 和 a mission.
Forming new teachers since 1994, the program provides a broad spectrum of liberal arts, 科学, 和 professional education courses permeated with faith 和 enriched by Christian principles 和 values, offering c和idates an education that is a formation of the whole person.
The human 和 personal 发展 of each c和idate takes place in an environment where the sanctity of each human person is respected, the unity of faith 和 reason is made clear, the love for truth is cultivated, the fidelity to Church teachings is lived, 和 the mission of evangelization is embraced. 因此, c和idates are prepared to be Teachers of the Truth, enabled to bring the message of salvation to bear on ethical, 社会, 政治, 宗教, 和 cultural issues in a variety of public, 私人, 和 parochial school settings.
Outcomes of the Programs
The Student Learning Outcomes guide the programs, established by the faculty 和 accomplished in the delivery of the curriculum, in the experiences provided in K-12 classrooms, 和 in the classes of the professional core. Identified Student Learning Outcomes state that the Aquinas College Educator Preparation Program initial licensure program graduate will be prepared to:
- Demonstrate depth 和 breadth in subject area content.
- Integrate a variety of instructional strategies to develop student performance skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, 和 personal achievement.
- Design 和 implement a variety of assessments to evaluate student progress.
- Direct 和 manage individual 和 group behavior to promote an atmosphere conducive to academic progress.
- Model respect 和 reverence for the dignity of all peoples of various cultures 和 creeds by creating learning opportunities that enhance 和 value differences in learning styles, 发展, 和 other diversities.
- Employ effective communication techniques to encourage supportive, collaborative interaction among teachers, 学生, 和父母.
- Collaborate 和 cooperate with other professionals 和 professional organizations in order to remain current 和 abreast of new trends 和 research in education.
- Draw from the rich tradition of Catholic thought to influence the graduate’s teaching practice.
The lived philosophy of the program is manifested concretely in both the curriculum 和 the experiences provided for the c和idates. Implementing the theories 和 models of Ralph W. Tyler 和 Hilda Taba, 和, more recently, the work of Jay McTighe 和 Grant Wiggins on Backward Design, a carefully planned 和 effectively organized curriculum along with an accompanying set of experiences is delivered to the c和idates.
The curriculum offers c和idates a substantial knowledge base grounded in sound 和 proven educational theory 和 practice, including the effective use of media 和 technology. Not only are the c和idates trained in the basic concepts 和 skills necessary for teaching, but they are also trained in the varied methods of communication that will enable them to effectively teach those concepts 和 skills to others even as they further internalize that knowledge base themselves. Through this integration of concepts 和 skills in the medium of effective communication, the c和idate becomes an educator.
School of Education
4210 Harding Pike
Nashville, TN 37205
(615) 297-7545 x422